Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters – The Book
In the job jungle the guerrilla is King!
Why a 3rd edition of Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters?
The US Board of Labor Statistics suggests that there are approximately 50 million employment transactions annually in the United States, which implies that the average job is held for no more than 3 years. The notion of a ‘job-for-life’ is dead!
Job tenure has been cut in half and then cut in half again in the last ten years.
At the same time employers today are screaming about the looming talent shortage they are acting as if it’s already here. Instead of waiting for potential job hunters to come to them, they are proactively looking for talent and reaching out directly
How do employers and recruiters today find someone for a new job? Job-boards? Newspapers?
Not on your life!
Openly advertising positions has brought many a human resource department to their needs. The legal requirement to document each and every résumé, regardless of its owner being qualified, has become a major bottleneck to hiring managers looking to hire. Consequently, employers have turned to social networking sites and digital tools that allow them to precisely target only those people who are actually fully qualified for the job.
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn – those are the tools employers use to target “perfectly qualified” candidates. Job hunter — IT’s CRITICAL YOU KNOW THAT!!!!
In August 2013 Facebook book surpassed 1 billion users effectively becoming the 3rd largest “nation” in the world.
When compared to the social networking site Facebook – CareerBuilder and MonsterBoard [the two best branded job boards] were 45th and 46th respectively in terms of website traffic. This has serious implications for job hunters who are trying to find a job and be found by recruiters. LinkedIn is now the first stop for most employers and recruiters when they begin to look for talent. As a job hunter you MUST harness change AND leverage the new rules of job hunting and recruiting for your benefit.
What’s different in the 3rd Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters book?
There are two key breakthroughs you’ll immediately appreciate:
- Instant proof and buy-in for our marketing-based methods
- The Force Multiplier Effect
1) Instant proof and buy-in for our marketing-based methods
Every job search is a sales and marketing campaign.
A successful job hunter identifies prospective companies; contacts them by phone, mail and/or email; and meets in person to convince them to make a job offer. This is no different than what an insurance agent or mortgage broker does to get new clients — it’s sales and marketing.
Yet, the vast majority of job-search books are written by people with NO background in sales or marketing — academics, HR professionals and career coaches.
By contrast, David Perry and Jay Levinson have forgotten more about sales and marketing than most job search “experts” will ever learn. This is not to brag — being tops at sales and marketing in the career space is like being the tallest midget in the sideshow.
Yet, David and Jay do stand out, with sales and marketing backgrounds unlike any other writing team in the career space today.
David started his successful recruiting practice by making up to 150 cold calls per day, telephoning busy executives and handling rejection after rejection. His ability to sell by phone was perfected after a years-long baptism by fire and has helped him negotiate more than $200 million in salaries since 1986.
Jay is that father of Guerrilla Marketing, the best-selling marketing series in history.
David and Jay’s marketing-based job-search tips will be immediately proven to you. As a result, you’ll be motivated to immediately take action.
For example, when you discover that all sales letters have a P.S. at the end because advertising copywriters know the P.S. always gets read, they can prove this for themselves simply by opening their junk mail. This results in an immediate “Ah-ha!” moment, and as a result, immediate buy-in for our methods, which show readers how to include a P.S. in their cover letters for the same reason. NO OTHER job-search book teaches this “P.S.” technique for cover letters.
Similarly, when you learn that all successful TV infomercials include testimonials because marketers know a testimonial from an average person is 10 times more believable than any claim a company makes, you can prove this for yourself simply by turning on your TV. Again, this produces an immediate “Ah-ha!” and buy-in for our methods, which show readers how to insert quotes — written testimonials — from past managers into their résumé. NO OTHER job-search book teaches this “testimonial” technique for résumés. It’s been proven to be effective thousands of times by readers of the 2nd edition of GM4JH.
And when you discover that recruiters read the recommendations posted in LinkedIn.com profilesas a way to scout passive candidates, you need only visit LinkedIn to prove this for yourself. This produces an immediate “Ah-ha!” and buy-in for our suggestion that you should post recommendations for others in LinkedIn for two reasons:
- to ingratiate yourself with people you are connected with; and
- to get your name in front of more recruiters.
NO OTHER job-search book teaches that recommendations you post on LinkedIn can entice recruiters to read your profile and call you. And of course there’s more to LinkedIn success than this and we cover it all.
2) The Force Multiplier Effect
In Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0 :1001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job, job hunters were introduced to the Force Multiplier Effect, the military discipline of creating multiple avenues of penetration at the same time. In the modern day military, it’s a proven process of dominating the enemy to win.
Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0 is designed to help job hunters organize and launch their own Force Multiplier Effect. It explains in step-by-step detail how to use the newest social networking sites and digital tools to perform a precession-guided job search and all-out job hunting assault on a targeted list of ideal employers. It is 60% net new information based on the feedback from job hunters who bought the book and the newest techniques used by recruiters and employers.
Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0comes with digital access to worksheets and exercises which make it drop-dead simple for you to find a job fast. There are detailed before-and-after sample resumes and cover letters and a litany of proven ideas which allow you to tailor the strategies and tactics to your individual situation. Included forms cover pre-interview research, keyword populating, action verbs, as well as a daily planning log and a scorecard to track progress and keep you motivated. In Chapter 11 we detail a dozen marketing campaigns which explain how to best combine tactics and weapons in a coordinated and planned manner, depending on whether you’re employed or unemployed and what salary you’re at.
The main author is David Perry, a top headhunter, speaker and coauthor of Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters and Jay Conrad Levinson, author of more than two dozen books on marketing. As was the case in the 1st edition each chapter will feature expert advice from guest bloggers.
There are also links to free software and other special offers from LinkedIn, ZoomInfo, and Jibber Jobber, all designed to accelerate your finding a job fast.
It also includes:
- War Stories: anecdotes from job-hunters who used guerrilla marketing techniques to land their dream job;
- Guerrilla Tactics: tips and tricks from experienced headhunters;
- Drill: simulation exercises to stimulate out-of-the-box thinking; and
- Guerrilla Wisdom: vignettes by prominent bloggers designed to motivate and reinforce your resolve.
In short, Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0 explains how to take full advantage of strategies and job-hunting techniques that are not available as free information on the internet and were previously only known by a handful of insiders:
- Leverage Facebook, LinkedIn, ZoomInfo, Twitter, Google, and other social networking sites, to take advantage of “the secret lives of top recruiters”;
- Build a specialized resume that’s easy to read, speaks the language of employers and proves every claim
- Target a job that plays to your strengths and abilities — a job you would do for free, if you weren’t getting paid!;
- Design launch and execute a multimodal job hunting campaign based on the same success principles used by General Norman Schwarzkopf in Operation Desert Storm;
- Understand how to articulate your unique strengths in resumes, letters, email and interviews (while avoiding the typical “resume speak” or “interview babble” that causes hiring managers to guffaw);
- Learn how to present your skills in creative new ways that stand out in today’s hyper-competitive job market (we demonstrate that if Paris Hilton can get work despite having no known employable skills, you can, too);
- Employ little-known search engine optimization tricks used by top headhunters (who have to make placements or starve) – there’s an entire chapter on ‘Digital Breadcrumbs'; and
- Zero in on the best jobs fast at the highest salary because you’ll know exactly what employers value most (this transforms you from “unwanted pest” to “desired guest” in the minds of employers)
Employers will literally be begging to hire you because the book will:
- Guide you through a simple method to pick your most marketable skills, in 30 seconds or less (as a result, every resume, cover letter and conversation you will take on a crystal clarity and will cut through the clutter in any job market);
- Lead you through the tricky process of crafting a resume that connects directly with their ideal employer (based on 100 years of principles used in advertising copywriting);
- Build a LinkedIn, Facebook and ZoomInfo profile that gets found and read, and makes the phone ring;
- Lay out 12 successful action plans based on whether you are employed or unemployed, have executive, non-executive or hourly jobs (all scenarios are covered this way, and you is disappointed);
- Teach readers how to use innovations like Google-Local to identify employers (and low-tech methods like “driving your car around the neighborhood,” which led to a job for one 48 year old man);
- Detail novel ways to land an interview, with Action Steps that you won’t find online anywhere else for free;
- Include a pre-interview worksheet to structure your research, a daily planner, and a “Gant Chart” that enables you to track your progress;
- Show you how to “start work before you’re hired” and prove your ability by demonstrating your skills right in the interview
Can job hunting be made any easier, methodical or fun? Yes, I said job hunting can be fun…